21st Century Technology + Small Town Values = A Mine to Be Proud of
“This is an opportunity for thoughtful, planned, and managed growth that will allow our community to develop into a healthy, vibrant balance of population, homes, jobs, schools, medical and retirement services, etc.”
Mike Eby, White Sulphur Springs
We’re working with the community to build a business model that works for the people of Meagher County and Central Montana to prosper with the mine and for generations afterward.
WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Sandfire meets regularly with a community group to make sure we are addressing all concerns of the community
- Sandfire is creating a Stakeholder group including the Montana conservation community and local/regional leaders to be involved in environmental stewardship.
- The Montana Business Assistance Connection (MBAC) has projected that mine development will require 112 housing units in the community.
- The Hard Rock Mining Impact Planning Act will help address the infrastructure needs of the community upfront.
- Approximately 31 additional school-aged children will attend school in Meagher County during operational stage.
- The countywide taxable value could quadruple, and is projected to increase upwards of $20 million dollars. Currently, countywide taxable value is $7,888,020 (TY 2012-2013).
- The MBAC also projects annual retail sales increasing by $3.4 million during the life of the mine.
Based on our expectation of 240 employees and 50 full time contractors, we project that we will be the largest employer in a 50 mile radius giving a significant economic boost to all of Montana.
- There will be approximately 200 positions needed during the mine construction phase which will last 24-36 months. When the mine opens, the operational phase will provide approximately 240 jobs.
- Positions will range from mine operators to truck drivers, electricians, mechanics, business and accounting services, management personnel and related occupations such as engineers, geologists, hydrologists, surveyors, maintenance personnel and other technical support positions. There will also be private contractors hired to perform certain tasks.
- Compensation will be based on skill level, experience training and education. Entry level labor positions will begin around $15/hr for entry level and $29/hr for experienced miners and include benefit packages for health insurance, sick leave, vacation leave and some form of retirement package.
- The average wage of workers will be approximately $65,000 per year including benefits. More highly skilled positions could expect compensation packages commensurate with industry standards for Montana and surrounding region.
“We’re always looking to find new ways to give back to and invest in Meagher County, and we’re committed to doing so. Black Butte Copper isn’t just about building the best mine… It’s about building a better community.”
Nancy Schlepp, Sandfire employee and 4th Generation Meagher County Rancher
We can only do this project right with insight and support from our community.
This is how Sandfire is engaging the people of Meahger County. From the begining through reclamation:
- We’re committed to operating in an open, inclusive and cooperative manner
- We seek input from our community members at every juncture
- We look for ways to support growth and economic opportunity
- Our tax funds can help improve local infrastructure.
- We provide family sustainable wages
- We’re protecting all of our natural resources
- We’re transparent and accessible and share information regularly
- Our company philosophy is to be involved in civic activities in the community
- Employees regularly volunteer their time in the community
Schedule a Tour
“We have designed, and are building, a state-of-the-art underground copper mine, setting a new standard in responsible development; not just in Montana, but worldwide. Our goal is to have a net positive impact environmentally, socially, and economically. Our doors are always open to visitors and we are happy to answer any questions or even give folks who stop by a tour. “
Rob Scargill, CEO of Sandfire AmericaCOME SEE FOR YOURSELF
STEM SUMMER CAMP DATES
2021-2021 SCHOOL YEAR 3RD - 6TH GRADERS (STUDENTS GOING INTO GRADES 4 - 7 IN THE COMING SCHOOL YEAR) MONDAY, JUNE 21-THURSDAY, JUNE 24
2021-2021 SCHOOL YEAR 7TH - 8TH GRADERS (STUDENTS GOING INTO GRADES 8 - 9 IN THE COMING SCHOOL YEAR) WEDNESDAY, JULY 28-THURSDAY, JULY 29
2021-2021 SCHOOL YEAR 9TH - 11TH GRADE GIRLS LEADERSHIP PROGRAM (GIRLS GOING INTO GRADES 10 - 12 IN THE COMING SCHOOL YEAR) MONDAY, AUGUST 2
STEM SUMMER CAMP
SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY, ENGINEERING & MATH
FREE FOR ALL WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS SCHOOL YEAR 2020-2021 3RD - 6TH GRADERS (STUDENTS GOING INTO GRADES 4TH - 7TH IN THE COMING SCHOOL YEAR)
MONDAY, JUNE 21-THURSDAY, JUNE 24 9 AM - 4 PM DROP OFF & PICK UP AT SCHOOL PLAYGROUND
JUST A FEW OF THE MANY TOPICS WE WILL LEARN:
FLORA & FAUNA ECOLOGY
WATER HEALTH & QUALITY
CAREERS IN STEM FIELDS
LINK TO REGISTRATION: HTTPS://DOCS.GOOGLE.COM/FORMS/D/ E/1FAIPQLSD2VA3FIXOE19UGR0PWQNQEA 6UHPJJ_LZ0L3JBIOSSKZRGVA/VIEWFORM?USP=SF_LINK
WANT SOME MORE INFORMATION? CONTACT ALLIE COUGHLIN (406) 547-3466 ACOUGHLIN@SANDFIREAMERICA.COM
SPONSORED AND DIRECTED BY BLACK BUTTE COPPER
3RD-6TH GRADE SUMMER STEM PROGRAM
MONDAY - THURSDAY 9AM-4PM
Frequently Asked Questions
What impact will this have to the community?
The Montana Business Assistance Connection has projected that mine development will require 112 housing units in the community and predicts that approximately 31 additional school-aged children will attend school in Meagher County during operational stage. The countywide taxable value is projected to increase upwards of $20 million dollars. Currently, countywide taxable value is $7,888,020 (TY 2012-2013). MBAC also projects annual retail sales increasing by $3.4 million during the life of the mine.
What Type of Investment Will Be Made to Bring the Mine to Fruition?
To get to this point, approximately $100 million has been spent to date. In 2020 alone, almost $8 million was spent in the local region. The Feasibility Study estimates that mine construction will cost approximately $275 million. A great deal of this investment will benefit the White Sulphur Springs community, Central Montana and the State of Montana through taxes.
What type of wages will be paid?
Compensation will be based on skill level, experience training and education. Labor positions will begin around $15/hr. for entry level and $29/hr. for experienced miners and include benefit packages for health insurance, sick leave, vacation leave and some form of retirement package. The average wage of workers will be approximately $71,000 per year including benefits. More highly skilled positions could expect compensation packages commensurate with industry standards for Montana and surrounding region.